Skip to the content
Week 1: An Introduction to Biblical Counselling
Week 1 Teaching Objectives
- To give apprentices a basic understanding of the history of the biblical counselling movement (in America). Reflection on the past helps us understand the present, and guards us from repeating mistakes of former days. History also makes us aware of the theological pendulum swing of our times, both globally and in Singapore.
- To give apprentices a framework to think holistically about biblical counselling. Given that our main texts are by David Powlison, we will use his framework as a starting point to establish our own.
Week 1 Set Readings
Week 1 Optional Readings
Week 1 Class Materials
Week 2: Dynamics of Biblical Change
Week 2 Teaching Objectives
- To give apprentices some clarity on the dynamics of the human heart, how it interacts with life situations, and how God’s truth connects to and reorientates the heart. Before learning how to counsel others well, we want to be clear ourselves how our own heart behaves and how God works by His Spirit through His Word to change us to be more and more Christ-like.
- To give apprentices an opportunity to understand their own hearts, by applying what they have read practically and personally to themselves. Along with the set readings, the reflection homework would facilitate and guide apprentices in doing this.
Week 2 Set Readings
Week 2 Optional Readings
- Seeing with New Eyes: Counsel Ephesians
- How People Change: The Gospel Gap
Week 2 Homework
- Pick one area in your life you are struggling as a Christian (e.g. anger, fear, addiction) which you can reflect on with the help of the Eight Questions. Write or type out your reflection.
- You are NOT REQUIRED to to submit your reflection. But if you would like me to read it in order to think through with you pastorally, I am happy to do that.
Week 2 Class Materials
Week 3: Word Ministry
Week 3 Teaching Objectives
- To give apprentices a framework for the process of biblically counselling another person well.
- To give apprentices a framework for biblical counselling with the local church as a ministering community where every believer plays a part.
Week 3 Set Readings
- Speaking Truth in Love – Chapter 2: The Facts of Life
- Speaking Truth in Love – Chapter 3: Hearing the Music of the Gospel
- Speaking Truth in Love – Chapter 4: How Healthy Is Your Preparation
- Speaking Truth in Love – Chapter 5: What Questions Do You Ask
- Speaking Truth in Love – Chapter 10: What is ‘Ministry of the Word?’
- Speaking Truth in Love – Chapter 13: Pastoral Counselling
Week 3 Optional Reading
- Speaking Truth in Love – Chapter 8: Talk Incessantly? Listen Intently!
- Speaking Truth in Love – Chapter 9: How Do You Help a ‘Psychologized’ Counsellee?
Week 3 Homework
- Using the self-evaluation worksheet Conversational Goals Worksheet to understand your own tendencies better so that you could move towards being a better counsellor to those you minister to.
Week 3 Class Materials
Week 4 Teaching Objectives
- To give apprentices a…
- To give apprentices a…
Week 4 Set Readings
- Seeing with New Eyes –
- Speaking Truth in Love –
Week 4 Optional Readings