Week 1: What is Biblical Counseling
Goal: To help apprentices locate biblical counselling in our Christian life and ministry, and the ministry of the Word in the local church.
- Knowing one another: (i) name, church, why G360, ministry plans (ii) experience/impression of biblical counselling (iii) questions concerning biblical counselling
- Survey: Who to counsel? When? Where?
- Word Ministry
- Case Study: Joseph
- Case Study: Simon
- What is Biblical Counseling?
Week 2: History of Biblical Counseling
Goal: To give apprentices a basic understanding of the history of the biblical counselling movement. Reflection on the past helps us understand the present, and guards us from repeating mistakes of former days. History also makes us aware of the theological pendulum swing of our times, both globally and in Singapore.
Reading Homework (3 Books):
- The Biblical Counselling Movement After Adams – (i) Chapter 1: The Birth of a Biblical Counselling Movement and the Need for Growth, (ii) Chapters 2 to 6 Conclusion ONLY (33pages)
- Seeing with New Eyes – (i) Preface, (ii) Introduction: The Gaze of God, (iii) Intro to Part 1: Scripture Opens Blind Eyes, (iv) Intro to Part 2: Reinterpreting Life , (v) Conclusion: Toward Simplicity (24pages)
- Speaking Truth in Love – (i) Preface, (ii) Intro to Part 1: Speaking Truth in Love, (ii) Intro to Part 2: We Grow Up Together (12pages)
- How Biblical is Biblical Counseling
- Warm-up: Counseling experience & challenges (Case, Problem, Pastoral, Truth)
- Recap: Locating Biblical Counseling in Word Ministry
- Current Problems & Sources of Problems
- Review: Biblical Counseling Movement
- 25 Years of Biblical Counseling
- Optional: 50 Years: How CCEF Has Grown
- Review: Seeing with New Eyes & Speaking the Truth in Love